A Simple Spinach Salad to Savor
How’s that for alliteration?
Last night, I couldn’t figure out what I wanted for dinner. After aimlessly wandering through Whole Foods for a good 20 minutes, Keith suggested we make spinach salad with goat cheese and pancetta, a light meal for our not-so-hungry selves. Well, of course, while shopping hunger inevitably struck, so we decided to scrap the pancetta and make BLTs to go with the “new” spinach salad with goat cheese and bacon.
The salad is easy and tasty, both in the summer and the night before a blizzard.
– 1 bag spinach, washed
– 4 slices pancetta or bacon, diced
– 1 small onion, diced
– 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– olive oil
– goat cheese
1) Coat the bottom of a medium-sized pan with olive oil and heat. Saute the onions and garlic in the oil until the onions are clear.
2) Add the apple cider vinegar and let the vinegar cook down.
3) In a separate pan, cook the bacon until crisp.
4) When the onions are brown and the mixture is slightly thick, toss over the washed spinach. Top with the crumbled goat cheese and bacon. Dig in.
Note: Toasted, chopped pecans (or your favorite nuts or even nuts that you have on hand) would make a great topping to the dish if you don’t do meat — or even if you do.