A Saucy Steak Dinner
Steak dinners in the city can easily cost hundreds of dollars. They’re not something I have often, as a student on a budget. Tonight, Keith proved that a delicious steak dinner doesn’t have to cost very much at all — as long as you make it yourself.
– 10 ounces sirloin steak
– 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
– 1 teaspoon sugar
– 2 cups red wine
– salt and pepper
– 1 shallot, minced
– 1 teaspoon minced garlic (or 1 clove, minced)
– olive oil
1) Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Trim any fat off the steak.
2) Drizzle half of the balsamic vinegar over the steak. Add salt and pepper and half the sugar. Flip the steak and repeat. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
3) In a saucepan, heat olive oil and saute the garlic and shallots. When the shallots are clear, add the red wine. Cook the red wine on medium heat until it is slightly thickened, stirring as needed.
4) Put a separate pan on high heat. Drizzle olive oil over the steak on both sides. Place the steak in the hot pan and cook 1-2 minutes per side.
5) Ladle the red wine sauce onto the steaks. Put the pan in the oven for 8-10 minutes, depending on how you like your steak.
6) It’s VERY important after taking the steaks out of the oven to let them rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting. Then, enjoy!
The steak was amazing. It was a simple, budget-friendly way to have a really nice meal.